Rosemary water has, like everything else, been blowing up on TikTok in recent months mainly due to the claims that it may help with overall hair health and addressing common hair concerns – including potentially helping to regrow hair.
The Rosemary Water Guide
I actually covered the rosemary oil trend for hair growth last year and while I did love it at first, I found the upkeep kind of tough and didn’t like how it made my hair weighed down and feeling kind of greasy.
Since some health professionals echo the idea that rosemary may help promote hair growth for some people who have alopecia, I wanted to cover this topic from a standpoint of what rosemary water is all about, how to use it, how to make it on your own, where to buy it online, and just about anything else you’d want to know.
Since I’m clearly not a medical professional, always be sure to consult with your own doctor before trying anything.
HOW CAN ROSEMARY WATER BENEFIT YOUR HAIR
Rosemary water overall may have several potential benefits for your hair health, including:
- Stimulating Hair Growth: Rosemary contains compounds that may promote hair growth by improving blood circulation to the scalp.
- Preventing Hair Loss: The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of rosemary may help prevent hair loss and strengthen hair follicles.
- Nourishing Your Scalp: Rosemary water can help soothe and nourish the scalp, reducing dryness, itchiness, and dandruff.
- Enhancing Hair Shine: Regular use of rosemary water may impart a natural shine to the hair, making it appear healthier and more vibrant.
DIFFERENT WAYS TO USE ROSEMARY WATER
Rosemary water can be used in a bunch of different ways to promote overall hair health:
- Scalp Rinse: After shampooing and conditioning, apply rosemary water to your scalp and gently massage for a few minutes. Leave it on for 5-10 minutes, then rinse with water.
- Hair Rinse: After washing your hair, use rosemary water as a final rinse. Pour it over your hair, ensuring even distribution. Do not rinse out.
- Leave-in Conditioner: Dilute rosemary water with an equal amount of plain water and pour it into a spray bottle. Spritz this mixture onto your hair, focusing on the ends, to condition and nourish.
THERE ARE SOME SIDE EFFECTS TO WATCH OUT FOR
Rosemary water is generally safe for most folks. However, it’s important to consider the following precautions before you go all-in:
- Patch Test: Perform a patch test on a small area of your skin before using rosemary water extensively to check for any allergic reactions.
- Dilute It Properly: If you have sensitive skin or scalp, dilute the rosemary water with plain water before using it.
- Avoid Contact With Your Eyes: Take care to prevent rosemary water from getting into your eyes, as it may cause irritation.
- Consult Your Doctor: If you have any underlying scalp conditions or are on specific medications, it’s recommended to consult your doctor, your dermatologist or other healthcare professional before using it extensively.
YES, YOU CAN MAKE IT ON YOUR OWN AT HOME
Believe it or not, making rosemary water specifically for your hair is actually pretty simple and can be done at home.
While there are a bunch of different recipes to follow, this is a basic one I’ve done myself. Here’s how to make it:
- Take a handful of fresh rosemary sprigs and rinse them to remove any dirt or impurities.
- Fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the rosemary sprigs to the boiling water and let them steep for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and allow the rosemary water to cool completely.
- Strain the rosemary water to remove any plant material.
- Transfer the rosemary water to a clean container or a spray bottle, to make applying it to your hair as easy as possible.
- That’s it!
AND, YES, YOU CAN JUST BUY ROSEMARY WATER ONLINE - HERE'S SOME OF THE BEST ONES
Some prefer to make their own at home, but I find just buying it way easier. Plus, some of the best brands add additional ingredients that can help with your overall hair health and growth as well.
I’m going to keep my recommendation list short and sweet, as not to overwhelm you. Just keep in mind that these are different than the rosemary oils you may be used to.
Camille Rose Rosemary Water & Hair Strengthening Mist
This popular rosemary water spray mist was designed to nourish and strengthen your hair overall. It’s infused with rosemary water and provides you the benefits you need for helping to promote hair growth, helping to reduce hair loss, and improve your overall hair health.
I’ve found some of their benefits to include:
- Strengthening Your Hair: The mist is formulated to strengthen and fortify the hair strands, reducing breakage and promoting healthier, stronger hair.
- Add Hydration & Moisture: The rosemary water in the mist helps to hydrate and moisturize the hair, improving its texture and overall appearance.
- Improved Scalp Health: The mist can provide a soothing effect on the scalp, helping to balance oil production and reduce dryness or itchiness.
- Lightweight and Non-Greasy: The mist has a lightweight formula that won’t weigh down your hair or leave a greasy residue, unlike the rosemary oil I’ve used in the past.
- Totally Versatile: It can be used on both wet and dry hair. You can also apply it as a leave-in treatment, a refreshing spray between washes, or as a styling aid to add moisture and manageability to your hair.
Bloom Rosemary & Rice Water Spray
This is one of the brands that has incorporated additional ingredients that are said to help promote healthier hair and even potential hair growth. Bloom offers a really easy and efficient way to incorporate the potential benefits of rice water and rosemary into your hair care routine.
The addition of rice water is why I really like this one as well. If you’re new to rice water, it’s known for its potential benefits in strengthening hair, promoting hair growth, and improving overall hair health. It contains vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that nourish the hair strands, add shine, and reduce breakage.
Infused with brewed rosemary and you got yourself the perfect water spray already expertly mixed for you. And while it’s geared towards promoting hair health, you can always spray the water mist on your skin as well.
AROMATICA Rosemary Root Enhancer Spray
This spray is really focused on helping to strengthen your hair roots. It’s formulated with natural ingredients, with the main star ingredient being rosemary root extract.
The root extract has the potential to stimulate your hair follicles, promote your hair growth, and strengthen your roots.
It also nourishes your scalp and hair follicles, providing essential nutrients that support healthy hair growth and revitalize your hair overall.
Plant Therapy Rosemary Hydrosol
I added in this one because you can actually use it for multiple things besides strictly your hair.
Plant Therapy Rosemary Hydrosol is a natural and aromatic floral water produced through the steam distillation of rosemary leaves. This hydrosol is gentle and versatile that offers a wide variety of benefits for skincare, hair care, and overall well-being.
Some of the more important benefits include:
- Aromatherapy Properties: It has a refreshing and invigorating aroma, making it popular for aromatherapy gurus. It can help uplift the mood, improve focus, and provide a sense of clarity.
- Skin Toner: Rosemary hydrosol is known for its toning properties, helping to balance the skin’s pH levels, tighten the pores, and promote a more even complexion.
- Scalp and Hair: Of course since we’re talking about hair care, it can be used as a scalp and hair tonic, helping to soothe dryness, itchiness, and irritation. It may even help enhance the natural shine in your hair.
- Cooling and Refreshing Mist: The fine mist of rosemary hydrosol can provide a cooling and refreshing feeling, making it perfect for hot summer days or as a pick-me-up throughout your day.
So, to wrap this up – rosemary water is more than just a TikTok trend. It’s really a popular natural remedy for promoting your overall hair health.
By incorporating rosemary water into your hair routine, you can potentially experience benefits like improved hair growth, reduced hair loss, a healthier scalp, and enhanced hair shine.
Just remember to always consult with your healthcare provider first before starting anything and be patient. This doesn’t work overnight and isn’t guaranteed to work for everyone.