With the nicer weather just around the corner (or so it seems) it was time to review one of my personal favorite colognes that I typically wear in the spring and summer: Maison Margiela Replica “Sailing Day.”
Similar to our review on Sauvage by Dior, we’ll walk you through Sailing Day’s top, middle, and base notes, how long it typically lasts, its overall sillage, and what our overall editorially rating is for this fragrance.
If you’re looking for a light and refreshing fragrance, this may be the one for you. Read on!
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN ABOUT
Maison Margiela’s Sailing Day cologne is a fresh and invigorating scent that will make you feel like you’re out on a sailboat, exploring the open ocean. With its crisp and clean fragrance, this cologne is perfect for anyone who loves a touch of adventure in their life – or at least when you want to fake it.
Whether you’re heading out for a day of sailing or simply looking for a new fragrance to add to your collection, Sailing Day just may be the perfect choice for you. So go ahead, take a deep breath, and let the scent of the open sea take you away!
Sailing Day cologne is a fresh and invigorating fragrance that is characterized by its marine notes. It has a crisp and clean scent that is reminiscent of the ocean and the open sea. Here’s a breakdown of the main notes in the fragrance:
- Lemon and bergamot, which give this cologne a bright and zesty start at first spray.
- The heart notes consist of sea salt, fig, and juniper, which add depth and dimension to the scent.
- Smooth cedar, musk, and amber provide a warm and comforting finish.
WHAT DOES SAILING DAY REALLY SMELL LIKE
Maison Margiela Sailing Day cologne can best be summed up as having a fresh and invigorating marine scent. So, if we needed to compare the scent to some real-life examples we’d go with:
- Ocean Mist: The crisp and clean scent of the ocean, with a touch of saltiness in the air.
- Freshly Cut Lemons: The top notes of lemon and bergamot give the fragrance a bright and zesty start, similar to the aroma of freshly cut lemons.
- Seaweed: The heart notes of fig and juniper have a slightly earthy quality that can evoke the scent of seaweed on a rocky beach.
- Sun-dried towels: The overall fragrance is reminiscent of the fresh and clean scent of sun-dried towels, with a touch of saltiness from the marine notes.
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST
The longevity or staying power of Sailing Day can certainly vary from person to person, as it depends on factors such as skin type, climate, and application amount. However, on average, depending on how much you spray, mine typically lasts for upwards of 4-5 hours before reapplication may be necessary.
SAUVAGE SILLAGE LEVEL
The sillage level of Maison Margiela Replica Sailing Day is considered pretty light, meaning it leaves a bit of scent trail, but is definitely not overpowering (like, at all).
If you’re looking for something that will leave an aggressive scent trail after you leave the room, this probably isn’t the cologne for you. However, in my personal experience this leaves just the right amount to turn a head or two without people having to hold their nose.
THE PROS & CONS
WHAT WE LOVE
- Fresh and clean scent that evokes the feeling of being on the best beach vacation ever.
- Versatile and suitable for both casual and formal settings.
- Suitable for both men and women.
JUST A HEADS-UP
- The scent may not be strong enough for some people.
- Not as long-lasting as some other fragrances.
- If you prefer heavy sillage, this may not be for you.
IF YOU LIKE SAUVAGE, YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
Acqua di Parma Colonia
Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte
Ralph Lauren Polo Blue
SAILING DAY PRICE COMPARISON
The most common size of Sailing Day that can be found at more online retailers is their 3.4 oz bottle. We took a look at some of the top retailers to see if we could find the best price and how they compare overall.
Prices are subject to change.
THE BOTTOM LINE
So folks, in conclusion, we’d sum things up by saying that Sailing Day is a truly versatile and refreshing fragrance that can evoke the feeling of a day spent on your favorite beach vacation.
It’s a bit on the lighter side, so it’s not for everyone – especially if you’re looking for something with a stronger scent and stronger sillage level.
We love sporting this in the spring and summer as it feels fresh and new every time we spray it, but it’s light enough that you could still wear it in cooler months too. As always, colognes are subjective.